You can elect Waukegan Township as your representative payee to manage your funds when it has been determine that you are unable to do so yourself.
Before Waukegan Township is appointed as your representative payee, the Social Security Administration must evaluate medical or other types of evidence about your capability to manage your SSI benefits. We use a list of qualifications to evaluate prospective representative payees.
WHO CAN SERVE AS YOUR REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE?
• someone who is concerned with your welfare, usually a parent, spouse, close relative, guardian, or friend;
• an institution, such as a nursing home or health care provider;
• a public or nonprofit agency or financial organization; or
• providers or administrative officers at homeless shelters.
WHAT ARE WAUKEGAN TOWNSHIP'S REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE'S DUTIES?
• The most important duty of Waukegan Township is to know your needs and to use the benefits in your best interests. As your representative payee we must first use your SSI benefits for your current basic needs for food, clothing, housing, medical care and personal comfort items. After paying for your needs we must save for you any money left, preferably in an interest-bearing bank account.
• Each year, the Social Security Administration will ask us to complete a simple accounting report showing how we spent your money.
• Waukegan Township will respond on your behalf to any of our requests for action or information. Common requests are the annual representative payee accounting, the SSI redetermination of eligibility or request for a continuing disability review.
• Waukegan Township's authority is limited to matters between you and us. A power of attorney does not give someone authority to act as your representative payee. Waukegan Township has no authority to enter into any binding contracts on your behalf.
• Waukegan Township is responsible for reporting to the Social Security Administration any changes in your circum stances that could affect your eligibility to benefits (income, resources, change of address, living arrangements, return to work, etc.).
• Waukegan Township, may at any time, request that a change or termination of the payee arrangement.